Gear Change Up

Sunday, November 13, 2005

"Just because that samurai sword would fit in the overhead compartment...

...doesn't mean they'll let you take it on the plane. So don't buy that. Or that helm over there either."

Those and other throughts went through my head as I spent most of today at Panjiyuan antique flea market. It makes me wish I wasn't traveling after this, and that I had my own plane to take home everything I wanted to buy. I tell you, in the event that I ever get...you know...an actual place to live...I know where I am coming for all my stuff. China. Ole. As it stands I need to get a second bag. Which will be easy as hell. And here is why:

The laws of supply and demand say that when things are in excess supply the price will always be lowered. This is why things are so cheap in China, because China has an excess of two things: People and stuff. There is more stuff here than can be imagined, and they are trying to sell all of it. Which is ok because when they run out they'll just get more stuff. Row after row of vendors, peddlers in the courtyard, and then it turns out there's a whole second level and also an entire alley of 6 ft. tall terracotta warriors. If anyone wants one.

This is why I cannot get any work done here. I need to sit and write things and plan things and everything that I actually have to do at this point would take no more than three days but there is so much to see, whether I'm jumping on buses or just going for a walk to the market near CUEB. Row after row, vendor after vendor. You think you're going into a tiny store, and it ends up taking the entire day. I don't get tired of it though.

On the whole I find China exhausting, but never never boring. This is a good thing.

And I now own enough scrolls to open up my own Chinese restaurant which will always have english menus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home