Gear Change Up

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I DID IT!!!

Yesterday:

I walked back to my room from the computer lab, my mind all a fuzzy from my thoughts of the day, which had been stemming to how the vast majority of my world cycling study was focused on the vast minority of what cycling is really about in the world, and how I was going to explain that one ("See, it´s kind of like the Bush Tax cut..."). Thoughts had been drifting in and out of my head all day as to how studying racing of bikes in a worldwide bike study is similar to studying NASCAR in a worldwide car study. Thinking about NASCAR makes my brain turn to mush.

These were the thoughts on my mind as I cut up some the veggies and threw them in with the cooking chicken. I enjoyed my Coca-Cola Light and cheese of crackers and watched my dinner simmer when all of a sudden it happened. My watch beeped, and absentmindedly, I looked at it.

2100 hours.

Nine óclock. PM, mind you.

The traditional time for dinner in Spanish society is around 9-10 at night. And, for the first time, I made it all the way to nine o´clock for dinner. Yes, me. She who stands around the kitchen starting around 5:15 to see if there is anything I can help with that will make dinner come even 20 seconds faster (¨No Brit, it´s 5:15, they still have to grow the vegetables...¨).

All the way to 9 at night. Waddup. It´s baby steps when it comes to taking on a new culture. And sometimes its annoying. But, as Bela Karolyi would say:

¨Yew kan dew eet.¨

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home