Gear Change Up

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

March 14

Sunny, little hazy, mid 60s, no wind. Beautiful riding day. Hands down, spring is the best season around.

Today my favorite muscle was the lower quad muscle.

There is a story to that. For those of you playing the home edition of this game, you may or may not have realized that it´s March 14. When I happen to be traveling and acknowledging the date at the same time (which does not always happen), sometimes I try to figure out where I was a year ago. March 14 is an easy day to figure out. But I would like to draw you attention to specifically March 14, 2002. See, today is four years to the day that I tore my ACL. Whether in the scheme of things that turned out to be a good or a bad or a meaningless-in-the-face-of-things thing is still an ongoing debate that I have with Self. The good news being I forgot about the anniversary until halfway through the morning, so maybe there is hope for me to move on with life. But maybe not.

Anyway.

When you tear your ACL your lower quad muscles atrophy, to the point that your leg makes kind of a U-shape just above the knee. So it was a good day to ride some hills and feel the lower quad flex and burn. Just because it can.

March 14, 2006 was a good day.

I leave you with wise words from Mary Ryan: "Of course you´re having a good day...it´s game day!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home