Gear Change Up

Monday, January 30, 2006

Nelson Day

It is a holiday here in Nelson, New Zealand. And absolutely nowhere else in the world. But today is Nelson Day, the day when Nelsonians gather around the...well I don't really know what they do. But it is a holiday. I can tell because no one is in town. That's actually not a good indication, because no one is ever really in town unless it's raining. I can't really tell if it's that The New Zealand Economy Is Bad, or if it's that The New Zealand Economy Is Bad And No One Really Cares. Because no one works around here.

So there you have it. I guess I know it's Nelson Day because Taylor and Tyler told me so. And when I asked what exactly we're celebrating, they responded, in unison (mind you), "Nelson."

I don't really know why they have this three day weekend now. I'm not really sure what they need a break from. People just don't really work, and if they are working, then the businesses hold this Nazi-like strict business hours. EVERYTHING closes at 5. And people go home. Everything is closed so there is no reason to hang out downtown. I find it extremely odd because Nelson is one of the bigger towns on the south island, and it's the gateway to three national parks and the entire western half of the island. I feel like people should be out window shopping, enjoying a bottle of wine, taking a walk before dinner, something, ANYTHING, to congratulate themselves on another day well done. But the streets are abandoned come 5:30.

Not good for a destination town.

Aspen would be rolling over in it's grave.

If it was...you know...dead.

I have asked New Zealanders about this phenomenon, and their response was that Kiwis are just lazy. They don't like working. They're lazy with the way they speak (mozzies=mosquitoes, barbies= bar b q's, frosties=frosted flakes). They're lazy with their holidays. No parade, no nothing. There is a gigantic bike race though. The Lakes to Sea Race and Fun Ride, 88 km. I opted out. Back to that laziness theory, only Kiwis would think to hold an 88 km race downhill. In New Zealand men and women race together, and at 125 pounds descending is not my strength.

But in the event that things get wild and crazy tonight, I want no one to have any fear. Ambassador Randy is in town. And for one day, the Denver Ambassadors are going to outnumber the Nelson Ambassadors (3-2).

So, friends. Enjoy Nelson day. Give a little extra toast to that town nestled between Abel Tasman, the Marlboro Sounds, and the sun.

But remember. The ambassadors are out. And if we see you doing something wrong, we are not afraid to go find someone that has the authority to maybe-possibly-if-they-feel-like-it do something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home