Gear Change Up

Sunday, January 01, 2006

First ones to 2006, and making the most of it

Officially, I am the worst backpacker ever.

When you set off on your own for a year with just a backpack and a smaller backpack, it's supposed to be a lesson in living minimally. In being mobile. In getting by with only the basic necessities.

I have learned some of that lessoin. In China I used to wash all of my clothes by hand. Two reasons: First, at this point in time I don't own enough clothes for a full load. Second and mostly, because everytime I use a dryer I lose a sock. And I only have 6 socks. Not six pairs of soxks. Six socks. So I gotta hang on to those.

Clothing is easy because 1) I have always been way before my time when it comes to besing fashionably hip, and 2) because I don't mind being the dirty kid. Other people might mind that I'm the dirty kid. But I didn't ask them

S now here I am in Wellington New Zealand. I have one pair of pants and two bikes. And 6 socks. Even after all my lessons learned about the ease and necessity of traveling minimally, why is it that I cannot figure out how to travel with anything less than two bikes? Why couldn't I have packed an easily transportable project like stamp collecting or something?

Lucky for me, my hosts in Wellington are understanding. Lauren and Joel. Or as I call them, "both-my-second-semester-sophomore-year-roomates." But we really lived together for four years. We are forever connected in mind, spirit, and music. We even have the same towel. REI quick-dry, recommended by 3 out of 3 members of Babbit 23/24 living in New Zealand. Get the orange one, and you can be a part of our club.

The thing about traveling on your own is that it's very fulfilling. And once you are with other people, you learn the contast. Adventures alone give you a sense of accomplishment. Adventures with friends are just plain more fun. And I'm all about fun.

Just like Rose before them, Lauren and Joel have been great. They have made my time in New Zealand a blast. Riding with Joel and pushing eachother up and down hills. Talking with Lauren endlessly, even though we could have sworn it was a few minutes.

And today we kicked off 2006 by going sea kayaking. I was trying to reflect on 2005, because so, so, much happened. So much to miss. So much to think about. Do the whole understand the meaning of it all thing. But I have found that when I am with my friends, I don't want to do that. I just want to ride and talk and cook dinner and laugh for hours on end.

This is what friends are for. Rather than give a teary, thoughtful, goodbye to the past, we go enjoy the day together. Sunny, some wind, but absolutely beautiful and absolutely peaceful. New Years day is supposed to be a day to look toward the future, but I didn't get too much of that done. Too busy enjoying hanging out with my buds in the present. Can't ask for more then that.

But then Lauren saw a penguin. She said it was blue.

And there you have it. I can ask for more.

I want to see a penguin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home