Gear Change Up

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

"Brit, meet single-track. Single-track, meet Brit."

Formal introduction courtesy of Joel Orkin-Ramey.

It's actually not my first experience with single-track mountain biking. It is my first introduction where I did not finish the trail, think to myself, "Self, that was nice," and then put the mountain bike back on the shelf for the next four months while I sing to myself on the road. New Zealand is considered one of the world's capitals for mountain biking, so that is my mission down here until March or until I completely destroy my mountain bike.

Complete destruction is scheduled for any day now. A lesson to us all, never skimp on cycling equipment. I have a decent bike which will suit my purposes (ride until destruction). If I were to live in New Zealand and take up mountain biking permanently I would have gotten something else.

Like a tank.

I have never in my life seen trails even remotely resembling these. The technical level is unreal. The trails are tight and hug cliffs. The switchbacks are tight. The Don't Die mantra has returned ("Don't die, don't die don't die don't die. There's a tree, there's a rock, who cares? Don't die"). And the name of the game is fall, fall, fall again. And keep getting up.

It's actually not necessary to fall as much as I do. Neil, Joel's friend whom we went riding with on Christmas day told me of the finer points of if-you-feel-you-are-going-to-fall-unclip-dumbass. Simple, except I am slightly too stubborn to admit that I can't pedal up some of the inclines, and therefore I think even though I really don't need or want any more bruises, I would rather fall than put my foot down out of failure.

Funny part is though not making it up the incline is not really failure. Cycling is a very honest sport...it lets you know exactly where you stand. And it presents infinite challenges to make you better. And if you are ever considering being a beginner at something, cycling is the way to go. Because cyclists understand...everyone's been a beginner. Everyone understands the endless challenges cycling faces. But cyclists know how to meet the challenges, enjoy the victories, accept the defeats, while all the time maintaining that positive outlook that it is still possible. And cyclists pass that mentallity on to others. And so Joel rides behind me, "Lean and pedal," over and over and over. And hey, I could get up the tracks.

It's about getting better everyday, but knowing that you still have so far to go.

What better reason to get up the next day and do it again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home