Gear Change Up

Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Tongariro: Hobbits really are amazing creatures...

...Because volcanic areas are not to be screwed around with. There is something very ominous about them. They're at a high elevation. They're creepy. And add that to the fact that they are in New Zealand so the weather will change every three minutes.

But change not enough so that it was actually possible to do the Tongariro crossing today. The area has been hit with drenching rains the past two weeks, and today was no different except for the wind. Which was more. So that was the end of that. However, we were allowed to hike up to the lakes, which would be a more protected hike with equally scenic views. My comfort level was satisfied because it would not be miserable, my ego was satisfied because it was about the same elevation gain, and my rational side figured what's the worst that could happen?

The volcano could erupt.

But it didn't.

So it was a good hike. Rain the whole time, but I was protected by my trusty rain jacket known only as, "Brit's jacket." The same jacket that got me through north atlantic squalls allowed me to be the only member of our group to make it up to the upper lake. At least I think there was a lake. There was definitely a sign indicating a lake. But the rain and the clouds, and the force 8 winds made that impossible to see. I did get a good view of the lower lake though, and that was amazing, which led me to believe that theoretically the whole hike actually looked like that which means blast I'm gonna have to come back and do it again someday someway.

I really enjoyed today. This trip is full of such contrasts. Two weeks ago I was in the middle of the crowds in Beijing, thinking there has got to be way more than 6 billion people in the world. And today I was hiking with a massive cloud and a national park all to myself. After that though, I am going to need some time to dry out. I'll take that opportunity tomorrow to hang out. Contrary to popular opinion, there is a lot to do in Turungei.

For example, this town has an art gallery/mini-golf course. I think that needs to be investigated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home