Gear Change Up

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Tailwind

The last stretch from Llagostera to Girona goes along C-65; a rather busy two lane highway with a bike lane to the right. Up ahead I see a man of African descent pedaling his way home for siesta after a morning working in the gas station about three kilometers back.

He´s on some sort of mountain bike. It´s too small for him. I´m on my carbon-fiber roadie; it was fitted to me. He creates his momentum with the heels of his foot in his workboots. My legs spin easily with my titanium shoes clipped to my pedals. He wears canvas pants and a flannel shirt, I am decked out in lycra.

He pedals slowly, tiredly. I gain on him and pass him. The instant we are even we make eye contact. And then it´s just two lone cyclists once again.

Two bikes, same road, but it coulda been a world apart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home